Re: Topband: 160m noise

To: btippett@alum.mit.edu, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160m noise
From: BobK8IA@aol.com
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 08:20:07 EST
In a message dated 11/9/04 5:16:40 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
btippett@alum.mit.edu writes:
To make a long story short, the problem was a switching power
supply in
a new white box computer
-
---------------
-------------------------------
I just recently had a similar experience with two present day computer power
supplies, both of "Made in China" variety. It wasnt just birdies on 160 but
actual "hash": that occupied approx 50 khz bandwidth and the center of that
hash
moved from about 1790 to about 1815khz, depending on how long the computer
was operational. Until I recently erected a pair of K9AY loops, the noise was
not even evident on my normal 160m antennas, a Inv V and an In L. No other
significant noises on any other band, btw.

I found the source by pure desperation. After unsuccessfully investigating
other possible sources here at home, I powered down the desktop computer that
runs all my ham stuff and, voila, the noise disappeared, dead quiet! What is
interesting is that I have 3 other computers here in my hamshack/office that
are
dead quiet. One of them, that runs my business software etc, is a 6 yr old
Gateway P3-450, across the room,  that has only been turned off maybe 4 times
in
its entire life. The other two are laptops, one a very new IBM P4-2100 Think
Pad, also across the room, and the other a 8 yr old Compaq P2-240 laptop that
sits right at the operating desk as my ham backup. Agn, all these are dead
quiet. The culprit computer is one I assembled from a "kit". Humm.....

Anyhow, I had a spare power supply, also of the "Made in China" variety. I
swapped this out with the "noisy" one and guess what? This one was even
noisier.
What a racket and all over the spectrum.

This all happened this past wekend, so my next task is to research some of
the EMI products that can attenuate this headache. I see that Corcom and others
have slick "entry modules", essentially an AC receptacle with a filter
enclosed, to replace the one on the power supply. These are gernerally cost
effective
from what I quickly saw in a Google search. A quieter supply would be a
solution as well, of course. The W3NQN AC Filter looks inviting, but, frankly,
not
at $100.

Any suggestions?

73, Bob K8IA