Re: Topband: Two Wire Beverage Query...

To: Roger D Johnson <n1rj@adelphia.net>,Tom Rauch <w8ji@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Two Wire Beverage Query...
From: Hardy Landskov <n7rt@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 07:34:35 -0700
All,
When I took a graduate course in antennas, we studied the Beverage. The
lossy ground is what makes it work by tilting the electric field vector
between the wire and ground. That creates an E-field component in the
direction of the Beverage wire. If the ground were perfect, no tilting
occurs and  you would have a terminated transmissin line over ground which
will receive nothing.
I agree with your first sentence but not the second. I will have to agree
with Tom.
If you really want to make a Beverage "quiet" then it seems to me that you
would need a ground screen several feet wide beneath the Beverage wire. I
don't think a single wire will do the job. The wire will still see a lot of
the surrounding soil. A single wire would have to be within a few inches of
the Beverage wire to do the job.
Regards,
Hardy, N7RT