Re: Topband: Two Wire Beverage Query...

To: Tom Rauch <w8ji@contesting.com>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Two Wire Beverage Query...
From: Larry Molitor <w7iuv@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 12:09:59 -0700 (PDT)
Tom,

How close is "fairly close"? Are we talking twin lead close? Commercial 450 ohm
ladder line close? Is 6 inches to far?

At what point does the ratio of surge impedance to ground resistance cause the
system to become unworkable? I really don't have a feel for this at all, can
you give me some clues?

Frozen dirt is new to me also. Winter antenna work in AZ meant shorts, t-shirt,
and sun blocker. Now I need Carharts, and electric socks and gloves. No more
soldered connections, you can't solder in 40 MPH winds at blow freezing
temperatures. I have learned to use wire nuts for most connections and can put
them on without taking off the gloves!

Thanks,

Larry - W7IUV

Tom Rauch <w8ji@contesting.com> wrote:

If they are good enough for a single wire antenna, they are
good enough for a reversible system if wire spacing is kept
fairly close.