Re: RE: Topband:mode separation...small stndx oppty

To: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>,"topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: RE: Topband:mode separation...small stndx oppty
From: John Kaufmann <john.kaufmann@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 15:10:14 -0400
Jim Brown wrote:

> At a SMPTE meeting last week, I was talking about this with some hams
> who also work in broadband and in broadcasting. One of them suggested
> that DSL might be responsible for some trash on 160. Any thoughts on
> this?  I don't have DSL myself -- I use a cable modem, with its own
> (much higher frequency) set of problems.

I have a DSL modem at home and I don't see any trace of interference on 160 (or
any other band) from the modem.  I do sometimes cause the modem to lose sync
when I transmit but that's a different issue.

Supposedly the DSL signaling spectrum has notches defined specifically in the
amateur bands to avoid interference.  I have no idea if and how well these are
implemented in practice, but certainly my experience doesn't indicate anything
negative.

73, John W1FV