RE: Topband:mode separation...small stn dx oppty

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: Topband:mode separation...small stn dx oppty
From: "Jose M. Valdes R. YV5LIX" <yv5lix@cantv.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 16:49:05 -0000
Hello All.

There are many consideration  to take into account when talking about 160
meters and how many countries have been worked form a location, one
important thing to remember when comparing stations capabilities is the
geographical location; Europe, with only 10.4 million square kilometers is
the second smallest continent but its population density is very high, about
70 habitants per square Km (more hams per square kilometers), and host many
countries, many of which are smaller than a US or a South American country
state, let's us look at some data (estimated).

Netherlands has a surface of 74,522 square Km and a population density of
453 habitants per square Km, Belgium is 30,528 square KM and its density is
330 habitants per square Km; on the other hand Texas is 695,676 square Km
and its density is of about 24 habitants per square Km, Arizona is 295,276
square Km with a density of about 12.41 habitants per square Km and Montana
with 380,850 square Km and has a density of 2.2 habitants per square Km; and
going to some extremes let's take a look a two examples in Venezuela, the
Bolivar state is 240,528 square Km and its density is only 4.6 habitants per
square Km and Apure State is 76,500 square Km and its density is 4.9
habitants per square Km, so we can see why an European station can work 10
countries in few hours easier that it is to us in the Americas to work 10
states, longer distances and less population (less 160 meters stations)
makes it more difficult for us; and things are even more difficult for
African stations.

Going to the small stations matter, I'm in more or less in the same
situation than Stew, K3ND, I live in a city lot that it is about 1/2 acre
and my back yard is about 4000 square foot, my TX/RX antenna is jut a 1/4
wave sloper hanging from my main tower (grounded) and some times I use a
small receiving loop, no space for a beverage or any other larger RX
antenna, and TX power is about 1 kw so it is a modes 160 meters station and
with it I have worked 105 countries, but throughout the years. As Stew I
have never been Interested in sending data to the DXCC or topband.com and
probably never will.

73/DX Jose M. Valdes R. (Joe) YV5LIX
eQSL.cc Advisory Board Member
QSL manager EA7FTR