RE:Topband:mode separation...small stndx oppty

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: RE:Topband:mode separation...small stndx oppty
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 09:45:06 -0500
On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 13:00:05 +0200, Frantisek Mikulenka wrote:

>Even with 100W and  "poor" antenna( mean low height) you could work
>occasionally   DX on 160m.

Perhaps a definition of DX is needed. With my limited station, a couple
of contests, and some pre-sunrise prowling, I've managed to work 45 US
states, 5 Canadian provinces, a Carribean DX superstation, and one XE.
Many of those contacts were > 1,000 miles, and a few were > 1.500
miles. If my station were in a location where many national borders
where a lot closer, that might easily put me within range of 50-100
countries.  It was obvious to me that the stations on the other end
needed to work pretty hard (or had very good receiving setups) to pull
me through. I've already made improvements to my antenna system that
have improved my signal since these contests, and hope to do more over
the summer.

It goes without saying that I'm using very good receivers with both
linear and DSP filter capabilities.  But there are limits to what can
be done when signals are S2 and noise is S9, and on some parts of 160,
my noise is 10 dB over S9.

73,

Jim K9YC