RE: Topband: 160m int L

To: "Topband" <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: Topband: 160m int L
From: "Ken" <k3yi@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 18:26:15 -0500
I run an aluminum mast at 2 inch "OD" at 60 feet with 106 feet of 10 gauge
wire connected at the top to make the "L".  Three guide wires that are
active for the first 5 feet, from the 5 foot mark I added an insulated to
break it up from there.  Also I drilled three wholes through the top of the
mast in three different directions and inserted three 3/8 tubing into the
holes, adding a small 5 foot top hat.

Its being fed with a 1100pf air variable in series with 50 ohm cable.

It has roughly 25-30 ground radials connected to a 10 foot ground rod that
is tied into the shield of the 50 ohm cable.  With a Black and Decker
electric screwdriver attached to the air variable, I can use the whole 160
meter band.

Keep in mind, the distance the horizontal wire is to ground can change the
S.W.R.

Raising or lowering the horizontal wire can change the swr curve.  This is
something one might want  to try before cutting the wire to achieve 1.1 swr.

It works great!

Good luck.  (and don't forget to search the web!)

Ken
K3YI