Re: Topband: Beverages over Radials

To: "Clive GM3POI" <gm3poi@btinternet.com>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverages over Radials
From: Jon Zaimes AA1K <jz73@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 12:18:26 -0500
Hi Clive,

I have an 880-foot single-wire Beverage running at 162/342 degrees, switchable
in each direction, that runs over the TX antenna radial field for about 200
feet. It's about  100 feet from the TX tower, which is 100 feet tall.

This is one of my best Beverages in terms of quietness and directivity. To
342-degrres, it compares about the same or at times better than a
stagger-phased pair of 465-foot Beverages that are several hundred feet away
from the tower and radial field.

I have a broadside phased pair of 935-foot wires at 320 degrees, spaced about
175 feet, that both go over good portions of the radial field -- as much as 300
feet. One wire comes within about 30 feet of the TX tower, and the other within
about 15 feet of another 100-ft tower and about 15 feet from the end of the
power line feeding the house. These tend to be noisier than my other Beverages,
because of coupling from the towers and/or power line, but still show good
directivity and often hear better than a 500-foot single wire in the same
direction that is several hundred feet from the towers and radials.

I have or have had shorter Beverages going over the radial field, for a greater
percentage of their length, that still functioned quite well.

73/Jon AA1K
HNY