RE: Topband: Beverages over Radials

To: "Pete Smith" <n4zr@contesting.com>,"Clive GM3POI" <gm3poi@btinternet.com>,"Topbandreflektor" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: Topband: Beverages over Radials
From: "Richard Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 08:26:32 -0800
> Have you considered a receiving 4-square or larger vertical
> array, to turn
> all those radials from a potential drawback to an advantage?  W8JI has a
> lot of good info about how to do this with top-loaded small verticals on
> his web page, as well as figures of merit for a wide variety of  possible
> receiving antenna designs.   <www.w8ji.com>

Last year, I followed the directions on Tom's web site
and built some receiving arrays.  They worked just
like he said they would and were equal to better than my 500 ft beverages.
should mention that I have fairly high ground conductivity,
so my beverages don't work all that well.  My long term
plan is to replace the beverages with small verticals.
I think Tom says he has already done this.
I can highly recommend this site.  Besides the antenna pages,
read the stuff about hybrid combiners to make the phasing network.

Rick N6RK