Topband: Low RX Dipole

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Low RX Dipole
From: wb6tza at socal.rr.com (wb6tza@socal.rr.com)
Date: Tue May 6 06:09:47 2003
such a low dipole is very successful when you want to receive signals from
nearly straight up.  I have not plotted it, but Id expect very poor
"pickup" below about 30-40 degrees arrival angle.  A similar ( but straight
line) antenna accounted for well more than half of the stateside QSOs for
XZ0A.  This antenna performed well in the somewhat unusual propagation
conditions we experienced where the sunset arrival angles appeared to be
nearly straight down for the first hour.

This antenna may not do well for you a lot of the time, but, you probably
will find the occasional set of conditions where it is the ONLY antenna to
hear the signal you want.  Great to have in your RX arsenal, but don't
count on it as a primary antenna

73

robin critchell, WA6CDR/XZ0A