Topband: Low RX Dipole

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Low RX Dipole
From: richard at karlquist.com (Rick Karlquist)
Date: Mon May 5 20:52:55 2003
GALE STEWARD said:
> that I had room to install a low-to-the-ground dipole
> for 160/80M at 8-10 ft high. Actually, it would be in
 I'm wondering if
> anyone had used a low RX dipole-type antenna with any
> luck. Is it a useable antenna or just a waste of wire?
> 73, Stew K3ND

I find that a dipole or inverted vee, whether high or
low, is virtually always a better RX antenna than a
vertical, on 160M and 80M.  Sometimes it's about as
good as a beverage.  I routinely use a 60 foot high
40 meter inverted vee as a receive antenna on low bands.

BTW, a low dipole is a terrible TX antenna on 160M.

Rick N6RK