Topband: 160 Meter Propagation

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160 Meter Propagation
From: btippett@alum.mit.edu (Bill Tippett)
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 18:25:19 +0000
KV4FZ wrote:

>Paul Burton, AA6Z offers as freeware his wonder AZMAP program
>(Azimuthal-Equidistance Map Generator) which allows path analysis from you
>precise location to any other location. With the click of the  mouse the
>auroral zones can be superimposed on the path both north and south poles.
>This wonderful propagation aid can be downloaded from
>       http://pw1.netcom.com/~burtonpt/azmap.htm

        Thanks Herb, but I would caution everyone about the auroral rings
in this program...the author says:

"The approximate auroral rings may be displayed.  Since these rings vary
continuously due to position of the sun and level of solar wind, the rings
are approximated as being 2000 miles from the geomagnetic poles."

        This sounds like the rings are fixed.  DXAID shows auroral rings for
any user selected value of the K-index from 0 to 9.  But who can complain if
AZMAP is free?

                                                        73,  Bill  W4ZV