Topband: 160 Meter Propagation

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160 Meter Propagation
From: w8ji@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 09:06:38 -0500
> theory." ========== Then it must be the auroral zone that's the big thing
> for you and me to EU, regardless of what any charts show.  The JA path to
> EU doesn't even come close to the auroral zone.
>
> 73, de Earl, K6SE

I wonder about the same thing.

The path from my QTH to Europe is mostly over land, and actually
comes closer to the pole than a New England to Europe path. It's
also about 25% further to western Europe than it is from New
England.

The NE guys clearly have it worse to JA than I do although the
distance is the same to JA, but I have to scratch my head and
wonder about Europe. The path being almost identical (except
longer) and passing close to the pole does not seem to affect me
as much as them when the Aurora kicks up.

I keep looking at my globe, and can't see why that is unless
signals don't always take the shortest direct route.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com

P.S.  Georgia, Florida and other low latitude locations are less
affected by the auroral zone because they are farther south and signals
can avoid the zone even when it is disturbed...this is also why stations
to the south do better in contests with disturbed conditions...the very
best place to be in the USA in a disturbance would be Key West whether on
160 or 10 meters...de W4ZV