Topband: Short Beverages

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Short Beverages
From: rick@area.com (Rick Karlquist)
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 08:57:03 -0800
I have three 550 ft (~1 wavelength on 160) Beverages in a triangle, with
feeds at both ends (6 directions spaced 60 degrees).  The array worked great
in the Stew Perry, as usual.  However, the array also works great down in
the AM broadcast band, where it should be "too short".  For example, last
month I was able to receive 4 different stations on 880 kHz including WCBS
3000 miles away, by switching in different Beverages.  On the vertical, no
station was copyable.  At this frequency, the Beverages are about 1/2
wavelength.

Regarding unterminated Beverages:  last year, I only had one Beverage up,
and it was pointed east.  One morning, I heard VK6VZ very weak on 160, not
good enough to copy on either the vertical or off the back of the Beverage.
I ran outside in the dark and disconnected the termination resistor on the
Beverage and that was enough to pull VK6VZ out of the noise and make the
QSO.

My current Beveages at 2 feet high with 500 ohm terminations.

Rick Karlquist N6RK