Topband: XZ0A

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: XZ0A
From: earlham@radiks.net (Iowaguy)
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 11:42:48 -0600
Spent a couple of hours listening this morning to XZ0A on 80 meters (3506).
Here in Iowa, they have been very weak on this band (even on a 4 sq).  They
were also apparently having trouble copying stateside stations.  This
morning, many stations were calling (very few getting through except for an
occasional west coaster). . . XZ0A would come back and continue to call CQ.

I have listened now several mornings usually beginning two hours prior to
local sunrise (abt 11:3z) on 1826.5. . .   I have not heard a peep (nor have
I heard what appeared to be anyone calling).  Based on the difficulty
hearing/working them on 80 mtrs, I believe a 160 mtr qso from the Midwest is
going to be very, very difficult.  That's a tough part of the world to get
to from the Midwest.  Hopefully, maybe some of us might get lucky.

Ants here are 4 sq for 80, quarter wave elevated feed vertical for 160, and
beverages.

Good luck to all and 73. . . Dave
W0FLS

P.S.  de W4ZV...patience guys, 3W5FM was a real S-8 on 80 running just 150
watts 11 days ago...conditions are in a slump now but I predict some good
openings before this operation is over on 6 February.