Topband: XZ0A

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: XZ0A
From: bogus@does.not.exist.com ()
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 20:45:02 -0800
This morning at 1430Z I heard traces of XZ0A calling CQ on 1826.5, weaker
than he normally is here most mornings using my phased array in the
bidrectional broadside configuration which is best for JAs and PYs.
Recalling all of the comments on this Reflector from mostly stations east
of me about hearing him best from the SW, I switched to my unidirectional
SW pattern, and there he was Q5, good enough to QSO!

I was amazed at this, because the normal path is 325 degrees, not 225.  I
switched back and forth and he was always best copy to the SW, only
traces to the NW, and nil to the NE.  I don't have Beverages, so I
couldn't pinpoint the exact direction.

By 1445Z he was getting weaker.  No sunrise peak at 1455Z here, when he
was in the noise.

Anyway, I guess it's never too late to teach an old dog new tricks.

73, de Earl, K6SE

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.