[SECC] FW: TNQP N3FY

Subject: [SECC] FW: TNQP N3FY
From: halken at comcast.net (Hal Kennedy)
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 20:08:42 -0000
Same thoughts here.  I am an hour from TN and could not hear many of the
stations K4BAI was working - John being a good two hours South of
downtown.  The skip is that short.

The last hour of the contest the D layer is pretty well gone and some
combination of ground wave or very weak skip allows working a few of the
mobiles on 40, but I usually had to wait until everyone else had made
the QSO and be the last one calling.  My 40 antenna is not high angle
either - making things worse.  80 of course is a different story.  What
a difference a few MHz makes..
N4GG

My theory is that (as far as TN is concerned) the farther South you go
in the Atlanta area, the better off you are.  I have always had trouble
from North of Atlanta, but very often even just inside the perimeter I
can hear TN when I am mobile on the County Hunters nets.  It just seems
like 40 rarely gets quite that short.  I did manage 4 QSOs on 40, but it
was rough going from Sugar HIll..  73 de Greg NM2L