[SECC] Re:Walmart ISP

Subject: [SECC] Re:Walmart ISP
From: thompson@mindspring.com (David L. Thompson)
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 11:51:28 -0400
I agree with Bill W4AN that the $9.95 monthly fee for unlimited internet
especially if also providing 5 or 10MB of web space does not work in a
business model aimed at just break even.  And be careful
(such as with Bluelight.com from K-Mart).

Plus there is a tendancy to raise prices once a substantial number of users
are onboard.  (see Bellsouth.net).

I have been with Mindspring (Earthlink) since they started and yes on dial
up there is sometimes slow access and downtimes.  But I find that support
has been fairly good.   I have Juno Gold (I pay for it) on my shack PC and
its good but you have to call a 900 number for support.   I still have to
put up with an ad or two and when the ad file blew out I lost all my
mailboxes and had to call the 900 number to get the location for them (20
minutes @ 1.95/min).  The 2002 CQ 160 logs back up was at risk.

I suggest DSL once they get the initial support issues worked out.

73 Dave K4JRB