Re: [RTTY] N1MM Exch Message when using ESM?

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] N1MM Exch Message when using ESM?
From: Richard Ferch <ve3iay@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 10:28:59 -0400
Dick,

I have been caught by something similar from time to time. The key is to be
aware of where the ESM focus is. It is not always where you think it is,
especially if you have to make any corrections to prefilled exchange data,
and that can throw things off.

I believe the problem you experienced arises because the typing focus moves
when you use the mouse to overwrite a prefilled exchange element (prefilled
either from a previous QSO or from a Call History file), or (if I have
remembered this correctly) when you just enter exchange data into an empty
exchange box using the mouse. This focus movement is useful if the element
you entered or corrected was the name (it moves the focus to the state so
you can enter or correct it in turn). However, if the prefilled state was
wrong and you corrected it by clicking on the received state, or if you
have just entered the state into an empty exchange by clicking on the
received state, after doing that the typing focus automatically moves to
the next box, which in this case is the call sign box. When the focus is on
the call sign box in S&P, ESM will send the F4 message, which is not what
you want.

Therefore after correcting or entering the state by clicking in the receive
window, if you see that the typing focus is in the call sign, or
equivalently that ESM highlight is on F4, you need to move the focus from
the call sign back into the exchange. The easiest way to do this is with
the Space bar. Once you do this, ESM will send the TU (F3) message and log
the contact when you press Enter.

73,
Rich VE3KI

K9OM wrote:

For this weekends NAQP-RTTY Test, I was using N1MM Logger+ V.1.0.5785.0
(which I believe is the latest version) and using ESM.  ESM worked
 flawlessly
when running stations.  But while hunting MULTS in  S&P mode I frequently
had problems.  After entering the other stations  Callsign in the Callsign
field and pressing "Enter" the first time, ESM would  always send my
Callsign
just as it should.   But after filling the logging fields with the proper
received message  and then pressing "Enter" the second time in order to
send
my  exchange and automatically log the Qso, about 30% of the time  Logger+
sent my Callsign again rather than sending my report and logging  the Q.
That
really messed me up and may have cost  me logging some Q's because of it.
So I'm wondering if  anyone else experienced a  similar problem?