Re: [RTTY] Hints and tips on how to file comments on RM-11708

To: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Hints and tips on how to file comments on RM-11708
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 00:13:01 -0500

> The FCC has always allowed 850 Hz shift at 45.45 baud from the moment
> hams were first permitted to use FSK. It was initially the *only*
> thing allowed, and it was later (February 1956) that they allowed
> 170 Hz shift. It is a historical precedence. And it has never been
> taken away.
>
> So, I don't think it is correct to say that 500 Hz is their intent.

I disagree.  When the Commission adopted 97.221 establishing 500 Hz for
automatically controlled stations (mid 1980's - I wish I remembered
exactly when) 850 Hz shift had not been used regularly for nearly 25
years and the only protocol in common use more than 500 Hz wide was
HF Packet (200 Hz shift, 300 baud or about 550 Hz).  Even PACTOR 1
at 200 Hz shift, 200 baud would have only been about 450 Hz wide -
which, of course is the reason the rules are the way they are.  The
Vic Poor faction wanted to allow their servers to go anywhere and
answer callers but limit the reach of HF Packet.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV