[RTTY] ARRL attack on current RTTY users

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: [RTTY] ARRL attack on current RTTY users
From: w1hkj <w1hkj@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 18:44:19 -0600
I don't usually jump into this type of a discussion, but I think that another point of view is in order.

I do not operate RTTY contests. I enjoy an occasional RTTY QSO at low power, usually less than 20 watts, for the joy of being able to do so. I do, however, create digital mode software (fldigi), of which RTTY is but one of many modes, including some of those wide band modes that some of you you find so oppressive.

To be honest I find any operator who claims ownership to a frequency to be oppressive, whether he or she be using SSB voice, AM voice, Pactor, MT63-2000, MFSK-128, and yes even RTTY. In my 56 years of amateur radio I can attest to having many a CW QRP QSO disrupted by an overly avid RTTY contester. My 5 watt CW signal just cannot compete with the player who is filling the RF with a legal limit amplifier. Sure plays hell with my receivers AGC. So I've simply learned to watch TV during the RTTY contests, unless I am testing a new decoder for fldigi. Y'all usually go away after the contest is over. Don't discount my interest in your favorite aspect of the hobby. I've worked many many hours to improve fldigi's RTTY contesting capability.

Nuff said.

Dave, W1HKJ
The New Jersey redneck living in North Alabama!