Re: [RTTY] Field Day Digital: PSK vs RTTY

To: "rtty@contesting.com" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Field Day Digital: PSK vs RTTY
From: "James C. Hall, MD" <heartdoc@nwtcc.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2013 15:00:14 -0500
This year at Reelfoot Amateur Radio Club FD operation, we had more interest in
digital operations and decided to venture back into class 3A. Two years ago, we
had a dedicated station for digital and it was RTTY only. We made only 68
QSO's. So this year, we decided to add PSK31 capability using N1MM software and
the popular flDigi engine. Another decision I made was to also utilize this
station on low band phone and keep the phone station on 10-15-20M. My thought
was that digital activity would dry up and using 2 stations on phone (3
counting GOTA) would be advantageous.

The radio was my Elecraft K3 with P3 panadapter and older microham microkeyer.
The antenna was a Spiderbeam at 38 feet and a 135 foot doublet. The whole setup
worked very well. Digital contacts were mostly PSK31 with a smaller percentage
going to RTTY - it never dried up ! As a result, only the GOTA station had 40M
phone QSO's ! Ooops !

We had 179 digital QSO's this year. Not bad. Wish the PSK would move to the
faster PSK63.

73, Jamie
WB4YDL