Re: [RTTY] Not to beat the SO2R horse...

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Not to beat the SO2R horse...
From: "Shelby Summerville" <k4ww@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 12:03:32 -0400
I wrote this, and submitted it to several contest sponsors, in 2001. If I
remember correctly, in 2001, there was only one (1) NAQP RTTY? Regardless,
all of the content, written in 2001, can be applied directly to the present.
Disclaimer: The opinion is solely that of the author, as a participant, and
does not necessarily represent the opinion of the NCJ!

C'Ya, Shelby - K4WW
---------------------------------

                                                            SOMR
Much has, and will be written about the need to establish a separate
category for those of us that, for whatever reason choose to enter contests,
hoping to be able to compete on somewhat of an equal opportunity as
possible! The need for this separate category was never more evident than in
the 2001 RTTY NAQP! With several, myself included, attaining new "personal
best" scores, those of us using only one (1) radio, still fell more that 150
contacts below the top SOMR operators! There are many reasons why "we"
choose to contest with only one (1) radio, and those reasons are not nearly
as important as the fact that "we", simply choose to do that! I have neither
the desire nor property available to allow SOMR, as I live on a 100X50
subdivision lot! I am fortunate and grateful to have my current antenna
system, and there simply isn't enough room for an efficient vertical, much
less another tower! Those that choose to operate SOMR should be allowed to
do just that, unrestricted! Those of "us" that choose not to do so, for
whatever reason, should be allowed to compete among ourselves, in a separate
category! Most, if not all, SOMR are accomplished and experienced enough to,
most likely, win using one (1) radio, and if that should be their choosing,
they should be allowed to compete within that category! There is no attempt
to restrict or penalize SOMR stations, just an attempt to allow SO1R
stations to compete on as "level as possible playing field"! We all accept
the fact that the "playing field" will never be level, for many reasons
beyond our control, however it should not require additional expense,
especially to those that "really" have no desire to operate SOMR, to try and
level the "playing field"! The ability to CQ on one band, and listen on one
or more others, without changing bands on the transciever, is, over the
duration of a contest, an insurmountable advantage! While most contesting
software is equipped with "transmit lockout" features, stations have been
observed calling CQ on more than one band at the same time! Whether
intentional or accidental, it is still a violation of the rules and should
result in a DQ? SOMR operators have their own category, SOAB! Should those
of "us" that choose SO1R be required to SOSB, in those contests that allow
this category, in order to compete on the same level? When was the last time
a SO1R won a contest, if they were in direct competition (same location,
whether DX or domestic) with SOMR? When "everything else is equal", SOMR
wins, as it should be! After all, they have done what they feel is necessary
to win! It has been said that 97% of the entrants couldn't care less about
how many radio's, what kind of antenna system or, generally, much less about
the contest, they just are in to give out points? I don't know if the
percentage is correct, if it really matters, however I happen to consider
myself in the 3% that do care! There are several contests that I "tune the
band giving out points" and may never even submit a log. When I do choose to
operate in a "serious" manner, I would like to believe that, before the
contest starts, I have a chance of winning! By choosing SO1R, and competing
directly against SOMR, that chance has disappeared! By competing "directly"
against other SO1R operators, I can, after the contest, compare, not only
their score, but other determining factors in their operation, that I can
apply to my own situation, in order to improve it! SO1R, as a category, has
a place in today's contest scenario, if for no other reason, than to allow
possibly, the majority of the entrants to compete equally?

SO1R = one (1) person using (1) radio, regardless of whether is has dual VFO
's, and if it does, not using that second VFO! How can this be enforced? The
same way HP/LP is enforced!
SOMR = One (1) person using more than (1) radio.