Re: [RTTY] Re: Noise with MMTTY

To: RTTY@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Re: Noise with MMTTY
From: Bill Turner <wrt@dslextreme.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 07:57:41 -0800
On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 13:43:39 -0600 (CST), Peter Laws wrote:

>I turn AFC off, too, on MMTTY as this causes you to be off freq in some
>cases.  Nice feature, but better to get the signal tuned in properly near
>as I can tell.

I think the best use of AFC is to have a separate tuning indicator such
as an oscilloscope and do the tuning with it.  Then when you have the
signal tuned by the scope, AFC can fix any small error that's left.

If you're using *only* the tuning indicators built into MMTTY, you
should leave the AFC off.  The reason is that when you are tuning across
the band, the AFC will *grab* the signal and tune it in before your
transceiver is actually at the right frequency.  This will result in
your transmit frequency being slightly different from your receive
frequency.  This can be overcome by using AFSK together with the NET
function, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms.  Not recommended.

--
Bill, W6WRT
QSLs via LoTW