RE: [RTTY] Re: Noise with MMTTY

To: <RTTY@CONTESTING.COM>
Subject: RE: [RTTY] Re: Noise with MMTTY
From: "Don Inbody" <ad0k@inbody.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 13:19:23 -0600
My background both as a former professional musician and as a naval officer
with years of experience in hunting submarines by passive sonar (both
aurally and by waterfall display), what appears to be happening is that the
brain is quite able to effectively block out the "white noise" in its effort
to pull out intelligence.  When you are listening to a faint CW signal the
brain actually hears all the extraneous signals as noise and "blanks" them
out.  The intelligent signal is then heard.  Apparently, in a silent
situation, the brain has to be "urged" to find the intelligence.

As far as an RTTY signal, I don't believe the sound detection circuit is
that smart, but I do believe that when one cranks the filters down too hard,
one actually loses part of the signal (outlying tones) and that makes it
more difficult to copy under noisy conditions.

My only problem is the tendency of my rig (TS-430) to clamp down the AGC
when a nearby loud signal comes on, thereby virtually eliminating the weaker
signal I may be copying.  In that circumstance, a tight filter (or moving
the IF shift) will help.

Don

Don Inbody/AD0K
QSL via LotW and eQSL