RE: [RTTY] Re: Noise with MMTTY

To: <RTTY@CONTESTING.COM>
Subject: RE: [RTTY] Re: Noise with MMTTY
From: "Don Hill AA5AU" <aa5au@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 21:55:46 -0600
This past weekend with the newly acquired '775 I noticed there seemed to be more
noise present with the 250 hz (455 IF) filter on that with it off (standard 500
hz).  Just the opposite happens in my TS-870's and I think it has a lot to do
with DSP in the IF of the Kenwoods.  However, after an hour or so in the
contest, I hooked up an NIR-12 to the audio output of the '775 and it made a
world of difference when with the narrow filter on even though the '775 is
suppose to have DSP in the audio.  I checked the DSP settings in the radio (you
can do all this stuff when operating only one radio and calling CQ! hi) and
really couldn't determine what was the best setting.

So DSP in the IF is probably a factor of all this as well.  However, the
receiver in the '775 is much "quieter" overall than that of the TS-870 and it
was a pleasure to use this "vintage" radio.

The best thing you can do, and this was mentioned by Jay WS7I, is to put a 250
hz filter in the 455 kHz IF.  Luckily I had an FL-53A in my old IC-751A that I
was able to put into the '775 just before the contest.

BTW, the '775/PW1 combo is a real killer.  Auto-switching a KW and having the
amp remember which antenna is used for which band was truly a wonderful
experience.  I still haven't decided whether I'll keep the rig or not.  I'm
thinking I might go with a '756PROII instead.  I did like the "dual watch"
feature of the '775 and was able to "tune the band" in between calling CQ.

73, Don AA5AU