Propagation

Re: [Propagation] Beam heading maps

To: propagation@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Propagation] Beam heading maps
From: Jim Smith <jimsmith@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 17:42:11 -0700
DX Atlas will give you an azimuthal projection map for any spot on the face of the earth, including the one you live on. It will also give you grey line, F2 and E critical frequency contours, MUF contours, aurora coverage, D layer peak density contours, a DX gazetteer, CQ and ITU zone and Maidenhead grid overlays and lord knows what else. Grey line makes a lot more sense when seen on an azimuthal projection compared to that weird wavy line you get on the typical rectangular projection.

You can accept SFI and auroral indices from the built in model or from the internet, or you can enter your own values.

If you haven't had a look at it, I think you would find it worthwhile. You can learn a lot just from playing with it. Watching the gray line in the azimuthal projection it becomes instantly obvious why signals are coming from one part of the world and not another.

The only problem I have found with it is that it made it obvious that I needed a 2nd monitor so I can display it all the time!!

http://www.dxatlas.com/

Hmm... sounds like an ad. The usual disclaimer applies. I'm just really happy with it.

73 de Jim Smith VE7FO

Stevenu7t@aol.com wrote:

Hello everyone,
I also have found the ARRL beam heading to be misleading. I now use "Azimuth Map" by VE6YP. This is a very nice program and will generate a variety of maps based on your location. It will identify countries, cities, rivers, and grids. The printed maps fit on 8.5 X 11 paper. ve6yp@rac.ca or ve6yp@shaw.ca At 1623z on 14020.0 I am receiving South East Asia on a reciprical path, about 90 degrees east of SP heading.
Steve. NU7T