Re: [CQ-Contest] 7% of contesters self spotted in ARRL DX SSB 2024 - twi

To: CQ-Contest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 7% of contesters self spotted in ARRL DX SSB 2024 - twice as many as in CW
From: Tim Shoppa <tshoppa@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 11:12:28 -0400
As an update: several active contesters told me they were using their
cellphone or web browser to self-spot to DXSummit - in some cases hundreds
of times - but their self-spots didn't appear even once on any of the
eleven worldwide Telnet clusters I archived during ARRL DX SSB. Maybe the
lesson is that any spotting network ought to be tested in advance of the
contest if you plan on using it.

Of course the ARRL not only allows contesters to self-spot on the
traditional cluster nodes, but they also allow self-promotion showing
frequencies on websites, message rooms, social media, video live streaming,
whatever. Did any contesters (or Multi-op teams) take advantage of these
"nontraditional" social media during the contest?

Tim N3QE