Re: [CQ-Contest] Acking Sprint QSO's

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Acking Sprint QSO's
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 11:58:42 -0800
On 2/5/2024 5:06 AM, Barry Jacobson wrote:
you would say TU QRZ W6FB.

QRZ in this situation is a time waster. If you have had multiple callers for the QSO we just finished, TU is the right response. If not, TU W6FB is all that is needed.

That let's the previous guy know that
you copied him correctly, and let's the next guys know when it's time to
jump.

In the sprint, you are not allowed to say QRZ without 5 KHz QSY. So how
does the responding station know that the CQer copied him correctly and
doesn't need a fill just because the responder concluded with his own call.

When I need a fill in this situation, I simply send a string of dits and ask for my fill. If I don't need a fill, I send a dit. As the station who will be CQing, I don't like it when the other station doesn't do that.

The un-written rule that W6FB talks about IS written, but not in the contest Rules. It's in a piece on the NCCC website that I found many years ago. Don't remember who wrote it, but I'm guess-remembering N6TR. In a 4-hour Sprint, I rarely encounter more than two or three QSOs that don't follow it. When I started Sprinting 10-15 years ago, W7WHY shared his N1MM macro file with me.

73, Jim K9YC