Re: [CQ-Contest] Self spot in ARRL DX

To: Stan Stockton <wa5rtg@gmail.com>, CQ-Contest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Self spot in ARRL DX
From: Tim Shoppa <tshoppa@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 09:14:12 -0500
Stan, I kept detailed records of raw telnet cluster traffic from ARRL 160
and ARRL 10, logging every single non-RBN spot from the cluster in recent
contests where everyone is allowed to self-spot.

I haven't published the final results but very few entrants - only a few
dozen - were self-spotting. Very quickly I learned that I had to do more
than simply look for spotted call being the same as spotter. Some were
self-spotting from a call (or multiple calls) different than the call used
by them in the contest. For example a DXpedition spotting themselves using
a home call. This seems to be completely allowed ("what is not forbidden is
allowed") and in fact may be rather savvy for those at home who have turned
on "too much filtering" to only look for say spots from the USA or W3 in an
international contest.

Tim N3QE