Re: [CQ-Contest] "Back in the day" -- Single- or Multi-op?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] "Back in the day" -- Single- or Multi-op?
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2023 11:12:59 -0700
On 10/11/2023 7:51 AM, Art Boyars wrote:
"For those of us who have been around amateur contesting a while (1966
here), you probably called the assistant who listens to the QSO and records
the QSO details a "logger."  A single-op station could usually have one and
sometimes more, but none of them was allowed to transmit; doing so made the
entry Multi-Op."

He may have been thinking about Field Day, where clubs not all that into contesting would have three guys at every station -- the guy who did the sending, another to help him copy, and a third to log the QSO. I encountered this in the '50s when I was starting out.

Thankfully, our club included several fine CW ops, one of whom, W8FUM, was a serious contester who took me under his wing. Nothing I learned later was in conflict with what he taught me.

73, Jim K9YC