Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW DX Contests

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW DX Contests
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 11:38:56 -0400
Thankfully we do not have to change our callsigns or sign portable when
moving around in the US and territories! There are a number of contesters
operating outside their call district.  I have never signed as KK9A/4
however some contests like WPX require that the callsign match the DXCC
country.  It changes scoring so there is a good reason for this.

John KK9A

Jim Brown k9yc wrote:

> Nevertheless, it is still my personal
> preference to know where someone is from his callsign.

That horse left the barn 50 years ago, when we were allowed to keep our
calls when we moved. YWe have to count on our memory of who's where. I
know that K6LL is in AZ, K7SV is in VA, is in MN, and so on. Although I
started out in '55 in WV with W8FNI, FCC gave me W9NEC when I moved to
Chicago in '64, I was intermittently active there, making a living,
running my own small biz, I got K9YC as a 1x2 after getting back on the
air in 2003 after long periods of inactivity, started establishing my
identity with it, kept it when I moved to W6 in 2006.

There are close to a dozen members of NCCC who kept east coast/midwest
calls for the same reason, some without that identity who took W6 calls.

73, Jim K9YC