Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW DX Contests

To: CQ-Contest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW DX Contests
From: Jack Brindle via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 19:17:26 -0500
The change occurred in the mid 1970s. This is also when additional station
licenses went away. W6FB is licensed to me at my address in Louisiana. I am not
portable, so there is no reason to sign /5. There is no prohibition against
getting a new vanity call outside the district you may be living in. Thus even
though you may live in PA, you can get W0AA if that call is available, without
any need to add /3...

Every contest I look at my LCRs. For those contests that show how others logged
my info incorrectly (like the CQ contests), I almost always find 6 or 7
stations that logged me in CA even though I don’t send that. Worse, in contests
that use ARRL sections, folks want to put me in LAX, not LA.   That becomes
really funny when they have no propagation to 6-land, but seem to expect that a
6 must be in CA.

As for Trey, if I hear him sign his call with a zone of 31, I would assume he
is visiting KH6TU and not slow him down by asking for his QTH. I have huge
respect for George, but I disagree with his statement. Just because someone
isn’t where I may expect them to be doesn’t mean they are elsewhere. I don’t
want to tick them off and mess up their rate by asking for their QTH or some
other repeat unless I really need it. Just log what they send and move on.

As for W6FB, I’ve been here 2 and a half years, and am not moving back to CA.
If you hear me, the odds are I am in LA (just copy what I send!). My info is
correct (except for Lat/Lon which is about 200 miles off) in the CTY country
files - I didn’t even have to ask Jim to add it. He does an outstanding job
with administering those files!

73,
Jack, W6FB
Back home in Lake Charles, LA