Re: [CQ-Contest] Antenna Switching

To: Lee Hiers <lee.hiers@gmail.com>, CQ-Contest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Antenna Switching
From: AB2E Darrell <ab2e@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 17:12:41 +0000
Hi Lee,
At my old QTH 7yrs ago, I had a Sixpak hooked up using an A/B switch.
For the secondary antenna on the Sixpak, probably the cheapest (and easy)
solution is something like a Top Ten Devices A/B switch.
These were $100 new, but I see them occasionally $50-60 used.
You would need to power it with a small toggle switch and remember to change it
manually when needed.

A nice antenna switch out there that would do it almost automatically (builtin
band decoder) is the Ameritron RCS-12 antenna switch.
8 antennas, autotracks with the rig's band via a radio interface cable from the
RCS-12, which I am currently using.
The first antenna per band shows a solid LED for 1-8.
You select a secondary antenna by holding that button. For instance, Ant1 is
your primary, Ant2 is your secondary for 20m, and could be multiband, doesn't
matter.
Ant2 will blink if you had most recently selected Ant1.
Just tap Ant2 quickly to switch to that antenna, and tap 1 to go back again.

Not for SO2R, since this is a single radio at a time switch.
73
Darrell AB2E