Re: [CQ-Contest] QRZ Button

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] QRZ Button
From: "Mike VE9AA ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2023 07:40:46 -0400 (EDT)

It would seem that as in real life, in radio contesting, there are those with good common sense and a moral compass and then there are those that, unless it's strictly spelled out word for word, will do or try anything under the sun and justify it to themselves and others as to being perfectly within the rules. After nearly every really big contest (NAQP, ARRL DX, CQWW, SS etc) where a few thousand Q's are made, it's not surprising for me to get an email asking me to confirm whether someone is in my log or to clarify my exchange. Even after all these years I still wonder what folks thought process is that makes it ok. To me the contest takes places on the air in the time frame given (assisted or non) and to use the Internet, email, cell phones, chats, fakebook or whatever they'll dream up next, is not good clean contesting. (is it a radio contest or an accuracy/post log cleanup contest?) Check out K1DG's talk at Dayton. It was great. Others have done a similar talk. They've all done admirable jobs. Also, if you're so inclined, read the reply from "THE GUY" @ ARRL (earlier in this thread). If you're still looking for more, Google "Rule #6" from the Stew Perry Topband distance contest which is a good one and may provide a chuckle, regardless of your interpretation of the rules.

73 es CU (all of a sudden!)

Mike VE9AA