Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Burnout

To: w1rm@comcast.net, CQ-Contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Burnout
From: Ed W0YK <ed@w0yk.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2022 05:05:07 -0800
Hi Pete. For me, avoiding contest burnout has been due to enjoying the
operating more than the result of winning.  I've never felt my operating was
perfect, so there's always been the challenge of improvement.  CW is my
favorite mode, but I also enjoy RTTY.  SSB and FT8 are nice for some diversion.
 I think this helps avoid burnout.I'm only 75 though, with 6 decades of
contesting, so maybe I'll reach burnout yet!73,Ed W0YK
-------- Original message --------From: w1rm@comcast.net Date: 12/2/22  17:31
(GMT-08:00) To: CQ-Contest@contesting.com Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contest Burnout
I would like to have a serious discussion regarding contest burnout.  I'mnot
interested in nasty or snide comments but rather a real discussion onthose,
like me, who are suffering from it and have overcome it. I have been a serious
contester since the late 1960s.  I am a CW guy andhave won CQWW, ARRL DX, and a
bunch of others.  I have been a regularparticipant in many of the majors for a
very long time and have a wall fullof plaques for my efforts. After 66 years of
contesting, I'm faced with ben there, done that.  At 80years old, I am not
going to win anything, and I know it.  I don't have thestamina.  My station
used to be very competitive, and it still is, but Idon't do SO2R, I only have
one beam/antenna per band.  I do have top-gradegear, though. So, I would
appreciate some honest thoughts about how to combat contestburnout.  Pete
Chamalian, W1RMW1RM@Comcast.net