Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Burnout

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Burnout
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2022 20:30:29 -0800
On 12/2/2022 3:21 PM, w1rm@comcast.net wrote:
So, I would appreciate some honest thoughts about how to combat contest
burnout.

Pete,

I'm a year older, contesting since 1956 (although with MANY years time outs to have a life, run a biz, etc.), and I've long run into this issue, largely because my first serious station is is NorCal. I get my contesting satisfaction by challenging myself in various ways. One of those challenges has been working major contests QRP. One learns a LOT about being a better and smarter operator by working ARRL DX or CQWW or running 5W, especially the SSB weekends. I've done all of those at least once, CW more than once. I've worked ARRL 160 QRP maybe half a dozen times.

Trying a new contesting mode can be fun. I started working RTTY contests 13-14 years ago.

One of the things you learn is how to make QSOs when you're weak! You also learn a lot about propagation -- when you're weak, you've got to hit all the peaks, and you've got to make the Qs when those you're competing with have poorer prop (example -- I've got to work EU when the east coast can't, or at least doesn't have a peak). You learn how to S&P more efficiently. Last weekend, running legal limit, I was able to hit rates >100/hour in assisted S&P passes to EU on 20M. I'd have been lucky to hit a rate of 20/hr Running from here. I must have my fun Running to AS and OC.

I never miss the CW versions of NA Sprint. I don't win them, but they are the greatest operating challenge, by far, and it takes both skill and a great station to win the jump balls. Our club enters teams for Sprints and NAQP, which increases the fun. I'm usually on the #2 team.

Some of the larger state and regional QSO parties offer the challenge of chasing mobiles and portable expeditions. NEQP, FLQP, TNQP, GAQP, 7QP, the WA Salmon Run, and CQP allow a fairly serious effort without having to live in the shack all weekend. W6GJB, N3ZZ, K6SRZ, and I still do county expeditions for CQP, and once COVID settles down enough, W6JTI, W6GJB, and I will resume lighting up multiple rare 7QP counties in "nowhere NV," hopefully recruiting a younger guy to help with the setup and tear-downs.

You can have a lot of fun running from a rare county in one of the larger parties, and even mobiling on CW with a second op doing the driving. 100W and antennas as simple as HamSticks for each band is enough on 40M and above if you're in a rare county. If you're a single op (no driver), find a spot to stop in each county and run until things slow down. We spend many hours of advance time scouting locations, first on Google Earth, then driving there with a radio to check for noise, issues that might prevent operation, other nearby sites that might work better.

Another challenge is working contests for which you don't have great prop. From the east coast, All Asia, Oceania, and JIDX fit that category. Or contests that reward you for working QRP and 100W stations, like the Stew Perry, where good ears can be as important as a big signal.

73, Jim K9YC