Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Burnout

To: "w1rm@comcast.net" <w1rm@comcast.net>, "CQ-Contest@contesting.com" <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Burnout
From: K8MR via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2022 01:55:32 +0000 (UTC)
I'd think of it as "contest mellowing out".

As a one radio/tribander guy in Ohio I long ago realized I'd never beat bigger,
better equipped, and in some cases better operated, stations from W1. So I like
to get on, run QSOs for the thrill of running, call some people if things get
slow, including people who I consider my friends after years of contesting and
many eyeball QSOs at Dayton, etc. I don't sweat it if someone, or lots of
people, have bigger scores than I do.

I pick my contests. I don't seriously operate 24 hour or longer contests.
(Though multiple efforts in 24 hour contests - "Single Op Multi Station" as I
have done many times in CW SS - are still a blast.)

10 out of 12 hours in an NAQP is fine. I enjoy the state QSO parties,
especially if I can be mobile in-state, getting good rates and in many cases
passing out a multiplier that I know that people will appreciate. When
operating them from out of state, again it's a lot of making an effort to work
friends, which include people who follow me around when I'm out mobile.

So get on the air, make QSOs, have fun, and don't feel bad about not being in
first place. Don't lose sleep over it - both figuratively and literally.

73  -   Jim   K8MR