Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Burnout

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Burnout
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2022 22:39:40 -0400
Pete,

I don?t have anything like 66 yrs of contesting like you do (more like 45 on
again; off again) nor would I presume
to have half the experience of some others that will likely weigh in on this
thread.  My latest 'on agn' contesting stint has been about 13 yrs of solid
contesting.  Whenever I am feeling bored or in a rut, I switch it up. That
keeps me interested.

I contest QRP, LP and HP. I used to do lots of VHF and 160m tests. I do lots
of single band affairs-High bands when there?s sunspots; Low bands when
there aren?t.
 I do portables from other Provinces.  I operated assisted about 20-25% of
the time (but prefer spinning the big knob)
I do SO1R and conventional SO2R?I dabble in 2BSIQ.  In CQWW CW I just did my
first single band SO2R (scary!)

Maybe some years I?ll chase WRTC points. (even if I know I can?t win a TL
seat)

 I contest on 160m mobile. (*yes, you read that right). I do some CWT?s from
my Harley. (stationary of course)
 I might put up new antennas or crank the CW speed up to challenge myself.
Just recently in CQWW SSB I was lucky enough to do my very first contest as
DX in the Cayman Islands. That was honestly the thrill of a lifetime.(Tnx
agn Stan)
  Doubled my PB # of QSO?s in a contest-EVER ! Now I am hooked on being DX
in a contest!

The other thing that?s worked well is to work LESS contests.  I see you do
TONS and TONS of CWT?s. (like way more than a normal person)
If you?re feeling burnt out, why do so many?  I mean, I love them as much as
the next guy by why do so many if you?re burnt out?  I'd recommend cutting
those in ½ or even less.

OK, that?s all I have. Switch it up or do less contests.

I trust you?ll get a wide variety of answers from guys with way more
experience than I have.

CU (all of a sudden!) in the next one.

Mike VE9AA (NB)

I would like to have a serious discussion regarding contest burnout.  I'm
not interested in nasty or snide comments but rather a real discussion on
those, like me, who are suffering from it and have overcome it.

I have been a serious contester since the late 1960s.  I am a CW guy and
have won CQWW, ARRL DX, and a bunch of others.  I have been a regular
participant in many of the majors for a very long time and have a wall full
of plaques for my efforts.

After 66 years of contesting, I'm faced with ben there, done that.  At 80
years old, I am not going to win anything, and I know it.  I don't have the
stamina.  My station used to be very competitive, and it still is, but I
don't do SO2R, I only have one beam/antenna per band.  I do have top-grade
gear, though.

So, I would appreciate some honest thoughts about how to combat contest
burnout.

Pete Chamalian, W1RM

W1RM@Comcast.net

Mike, Coreen & Corey