Re: [CQ-Contest] QSO Party Rules

To: reflector cq-contest <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] QSO Party Rules
From: Tom Hellem <tom.hellem@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 07:25:41 -0600
I just became a big fan  of the SCQP. Double points for out of state q’s plus
county mults for in state  is an excellent idea.

I regularly do the Wisconsin QP from out of state, one that awards county mults
for in state stations. A look at the results shows that many in state stations
don’t even bother to work 20 meters at all! On top of this, it’s a one day
contest that ends around 6 pm , about the time when stations in the western
states normally would go to the lower bands. Getting mults from where I live in
MT is a real slog, because Many of the mults are lightly populated rural
counties only covered by mobile stations, where I have to battle it out way too
early in the afternoon on 40 and 80 meters with WI stations who are hearing the
mobiles S-9. It’s an exercise in futility.

And then there is 7QP, which awards no county mults for 7-land stations. It’s a
one day contest ending after midnight. The last several hours are mostly 7
stations working each other on the low bands because the eastern half of the
country where the big ham populations are has gone to bed. Earning mults for in
state counties would make this contest much more fun and interesting.

My .02.

Tom
K0SN