Re: [CQ-Contest] QSO Party Rules

To: "k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com" <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>, "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] QSO Party Rules
From: Ron Notarius W3WN via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 13:09:00 +0000 (UTC)
Well Jim, you have somehow reached the incorrect presumption that I "don't
work" state QSO parties.
Granted, I don't have the weekend operating time like I used to, with the new
job and new responsibilities.  But I didn't realize that meant that I needed to
let you personally know every time I operate to some degree in an event.
But personal wisecracks aside...
So your core complaint is that other state QSO parties have different rules
that CQP.  So what?  Considering that in most of these cases, there is are two
broad categories for entrants... in state and out of state... I don't see what
the problem is.
I again repeat what I said earlier... boycotting a state or regional QSO party
simply because it's a little harder to work some of the multipliers on the high
bands is counter-productive.  It reduces the number of potential stations in
the "pool" that are available to work, which in turn reduces the incentives for
the in-state stations (fixed, portable, rover or mobile) to go to the high
bands and work people.
In the Salmon Run this last weekend, I knew going in that simply because of
distance and propagation, I would only hear and work a relative fraction of the
many stations on.  That didn't stop me from having fun working the ones I did,
when time permitted operating.  I would like to think that at least some those
stations knowing that I and others like me WERE searching for them, amongst the
TXQP, Route 66 OTA, and other weekend operating events also QRV, gave them
incentives to stay on the high bands as long they could.
If you truly believe that the rules of a given contest are not in your favor or
are even stacked against you, then IMHO you should contact the sponsoring club,
committee, or organization and bring your concerns to them.  If they feel your
concerns are valid, they may be willing to consider a rule change, update, or
clarification.
73