Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL to allow self-spotting in contests

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL to allow self-spotting in contests
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 15:20:59 -0800
On 2/18/2022 9:17 AM, David Gilbert wrote:
It should have enhanced the hobby for all of us, especially for us contesters since almost all of our transmissions come from keypresses in a logging program anyway.

Over a period of ten years or more, K1JT and his team have developed an ever expanding suite of software for the exchange of minimal information a variety of difficult propagation conditions, each of which has its own challenges. FT8 is only one of those transmission modes. I use their modes in the manner they intended -- meteor scatter, tropo, ionospheric scatter, Es, and F2 on 6M; DXpeditions on the HF bands; difficult circuits on 160M; low power DX on 60M. I've yet to be drawn to HF contesting with it.

And their suite HAS enhanced the hobby for me a lot, and, I'd guess, for hundreds of thousands of hams stuck in apartments where even minimal antennas are a challenge.

73, Jim K9YC