Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL to allow self-spotting in contests

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL to allow self-spotting in contests
From: David Gilbert <ab7echo@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 14:11:26 -0700

FT8 is terrific for what it was intended.  I've made a couple thousand contacts with it on every band from 160m to 6m.  It happens to be a really crummy contesting mode, though.

Think of things this way.  Modern rigs with heavy DSP innards perform all sorts of digital (i.e., mathematical) processes on the received signal before reconstructing it to analog in the case of CW and SSB.  The output is transparent to the operator.   There's really no reason at all why the kind of precoding used by FT8 couldn't also be performed on the transmitted signal with corresponding decoding of the received signal before being outputted, also in analog form transparent to the operator.  The output doesn't have to be text on the screen.  It can be machine generated CW, maybe even SSB, and there wouldn't be QRN.    The only difference is that that kind of precoding and decoding carries with it some formatting requirements ... fixed bandwidth, fixed length of message bursts, etc.  With proper design those constraints could be made to almost invisible to the user ... most significantly for contesting.

The overall benefit, of course, being considerably better weak signal performance.

73,
Dave   AB7E