Re: [CQ-Contest] The Story of Online QSLs

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The Story of Online QSLs
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2019 19:25:09 -0800
On 12/21/2019 4:59 PM, info@bokverket.com wrote:
I suppose the many-step procedures for uploading logs still exist.

Not really. The popular logger DXKeeper, part of the FREEWARE DXLab suite, requires two mouse clicks to upload QSOs and one mouseclick to download confirmations. With a few more mouse clicks and a bit of RTFM, DXKeeper prepares applications for DXCC and many other awards. DXKeeper is so good that, since discovering it soon after I got back on the air in 2003, I haven't even thought about looking for a better one. :)

DXKeeper is the only non-contest logger I've used, but I'm confident that other logging software has capabilities like these. It's also quite easy to upload an ADIF file from almost any contest logger.

It's also easy to log into LOTW from a browser, view the status of your ARRL awards, select QSOs from a list that qualify, make an application, and pay fees with a credit card. I do this once a year for DXCC and 6M VUCC, the two ARRL awards that I chase. I used to make an annual trip (about an hour each way) to visit my nearest card-checker; now, the large fraction of needed confirmations that are in LOTW has made those trips semi-annual, and nearly all for the 6M cards.

73, Jim K9YC