Re: [CQ-Contest] Tower safety

To: "'CQ-Contest Reflector'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Tower safety
From: "Doug Renwick" <ve5ra@sasktel.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2019 20:26:53 -0600
Here are the full details, quote:

Note: a fall arrest harness would not have saved Paul's life in these
circumstances.

"I don't know that Paul had been working on this tower recently, but he
apparently had a line to the top and a pulley up there.  His usual practice
would be to keep a 1/4" poly rope up to the top and back if he was going to
work on a tower intermittently.  Then, when ready to work on it, he would
use that small rope to pull his good rope up and back down, which is what he
did today.  For a couple decades Paul has liked to "ride the rope" up and
down, climbing the tower only when necessary, or when a winch operator
wasn't available.  Today a friend was running the winch, not Mary.  Paul had
done some work probably at the 50' level and was at about 60' when the winch
operator said the line went slack. The pulley had become disconnected from
the top of the tower.

As I said, I don't think Paul had been on this tower recently, and he didn't
remember that this pulley was not properly attached for work. Normally, a
web "choker" would go through the ring on the top of the pulley, around a
tower leg a couple times, and then its ends joined with a heavy shackle.
Today, only a nylon rope held the pulley, and it broke.  KB9S said it looked
weathered.  It had probably been up there quite a while, and Paul's memory
hasn't been what it used to be.  He was not up to the top of the tower today
at all, only working near the bottom antenna.

It sounds like the kind of small rope he might use on his belt to initially
carry the pulley and line up to the top of the tower.  Why he left it there
without a proper choker will be a mystery.  I'm guessing it was many months
ago, planning to do this work, but something took him away and he never got
back to it until now.  I am sorry that the winch operator had to see it, but
glad that it was nothing within his control."

Doug

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein