Re: [Amps] World's worst coax connectors

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] World's worst coax connectors
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 20:49:13 -0700
On 4/20/2023 8:30 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
hat's something I've never experienced, and I did a LOT of work in downtown Chicago!

Couple more thoughts. Many years ago, running Jazz Fest, I had a lot of AKG condensers, including a version of the C414 that had Pin One problems. This was '80, long before that was known. I killed RF pickup by coiling the mic cable around the boom stand.

With respect to mating connectors -- Neil Muncy did a demonstration in his EMC talks where he ran maybe 10 XLR cables (probably the big Belden braid shielded) around the workshop site connecting a mic to a mixer. He ran a big tape eraser along the cable; the magnetic field coupled only where the pair was untwisted through the connectors, demonstrating the importance of shielding.

At another workshop that Bill, another engineer, and I did in 2005, we fed two condenser mics with fairly long runs of cable to a Mackie mixer, one using that big Belden braid, the other using a good Belden CAT5/6 with molded pairs, with one pair carrying audio, both conductors of another pair connecting the Pin 1s. I used a Kenwood TH-F6A, continuously keying the talkie to produce square wave pulses as I moved it along both cables to find hot spots, on 2M, 220, and 440. Both cables provided pretty decent (but not perfect) immunity, and neither was better than the other. The mic had some susceptibility, and the Mackie had a lot, but I didn't get close to it with the talkie. :)

73, Jim K9YC