Re: [Amps] World's worst coax connectors

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] World's worst coax connectors
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 11:02:43 -0700
On 4/20/2023 10:27 AM, Jim Garland wrote:
"The so-called phono jack used in audio equipment is a nice lesson in bad design, because the inner conductor mates before the shield when you plug it in;

In the context of RF, why is that bad?

furthermore, the design of the connector is such that both
shield and center conductor tend to make poor contact.

That depends entirely on the quality of the connector. There's a LOT of cheap junk out there, as well as a LOT of cheap junk patch cables. The RC connectors that Switchcraft sells are of very high quality and make very good contact. I would have no problems using them at the 100W level. Neutrik, a first rate EU company, makes a line of lower cost, decent quality RCA and 1/8-in connectors that are quite suitable for audio and control. Their professional XLR connectors, long the standard in pro audio, are the best in the world, with Switchcraft a strong second. All of these are designed for solder termination. I've served on the AES Standards Committee with engineers from both companies.

There are also a lot of junk UHF, BNC, and type N connectors and adapters in the marketplace -- they're sold by flaky vendors virtually any ham flea market and all over the internet.

73, Jim K9YC