Re: [Amps] 1N Diodes

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 1N Diodes
From: Adrian <vk4tux@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2021 08:30:36 +1000
RM, said it best with ;

"Protection diodes should not be petite. Big, ugly diodes with a peak current rating of 200 A or more are best. I have seen smaller diodes - and the meter they were supposed to be protecting - literally blown away by a glitch. After some bitter experiences with lesser diodes, I began using the 1N5401. In small quantities, the 1N5401 costs about 20 cents each. It is rated at 200 A for 8.3 ms, 3 A rms, and 100 PIV. Other diodes from the 1N5400 family will work as well. During an extremely high current surge, a glitch-protection diode may short out - and, by so doing, still protect the precious parts. Replacing a shorted protection diode instead of a blown meter is almost fun.

To prevent the negative HV circuit from spiking to several kilovolts, connect a string of 200-A (or greater) glitch-protection diodes from the negative terminal on the high-voltage filter capacitor to chassis. Each diode will limit the voltage across itself to about 1.5 V. Typically, three diodes are needed - thus limiting the spike to about 4.5 V. The diode polarity is with the cathode band toward the negative high voltage. With one simple wiring change, the same string of diodes can also protect the grid-current meter and the anode-current meter."

vk4tux