Re: [Amps] Swan Mark 1 on 160 meters

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Swan Mark 1 on 160 meters
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2021 12:57:01 -0700
On 7/1/2021 8:15 AM, hzp_electronics@juno.com wrote:
Don't forget that a toroid is a 'one-turn loop' that can couple to other things.

As W8ZR correctly observed, a winding on a ferrite core is "self-shielded," because the higher mu of the coil causes most of the field to be contained within the core. The higher the mu at the frequency of interest, the greater this effect. But as I noted in my first post in this thread, mu (mu' +j mu'') vary widely with frequency. Where mu' describes the inductive effect of the core, and mu'' the loss component.

73, Jim K9YC