Re: [Amps] 220VOLT LINE...HAMS CAN BE DANGEROUS

To: "Ian White, G3SEK" <g3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 220VOLT LINE...HAMS CAN BE DANGEROUS
From: tongaloa <tongaloa@alltel.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 10:56:15 -0500
All I know is my wiring passed inspection, with compliments.
240V 3 phase to 440V 3 phase transformer, tie in to distribution, tie in to
the big Blanchard grinder. Did not consult the NEC, just followed same
scheme that the licensed guy did when he wired up one of the other machines.
Except for the transformer because the other machine was 240VAC.
My lights passed too. 64 banks of 4x4' flourescents. For that, I looked at the book :-)

OK you electricians, here are some questions. What is VA rating of a 240V
100A 3 phase circuit? By what % should it be derated for an inductive load
with a power factor of 0.8? What voltage rating wire should be used with
a 440VAC three phase motor. Does the power factor affect the choice?

73,
-bob

Ian White, G3SEK wrote:

Rob wrote:

I agree with Louie, that one should know before doing. We were taught reading and critical thinking when young. Why? So we could keep on learning.

A difficulty with wiring codes is that we have to switch off large areas of our own knowledge and critical thinking, and instead, "just follow the book".

That comes hard to some people - it certainly does to me!

The other difficulty for occasional DIYers is that there's still a grey area around the way that wiring inspectors will interpret the regs... and the book won't help us there.